17 November, 2008

Coining It In

You might’ve heard that last week Chelsea were dumped out of the Carling Cup by lowly Burnley, and on penalties no less. To be frank, I can’t be bothered to crunch the numbers, but I’m guessing that most of the Chelsea team earn more in a week than the Burnley squad put together earn in a year or something.

I’m sure the game was riveting, but the highlight was Didier Drogba returning to form and being a complete prick. Just after he opened the scoring, Diddles celebrated in front of placid group of Burnley fans and families, when a coin jumped out of someone’s pocket and fell at the Chelsea striker’s feet. He immediately took umbridge at this, picking up the coin and hurling it straight at an old lady, before then laughing and giving her the finger.

Drogba offered this perfectly reasonable explanation: “I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me. The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt I just want to apologise. This is not something I should show and I want to apologise. It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more.”
Those of you with keen memories will remember Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher receiving a three-game ban back in 2002 after throwing a coin back at Arsenal fans. Back when he was good, and at Leeds, Alan Smith also received a similar sentence for hurling a bottle at Manchester United fans.

Thanks to The Sun by the way for informing us that under no circumstances are we to use their exclusive photos.

No comments: